Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Port – November 22, 2011

On Tuesday, Dr. Vadim Gushchin, the Chief of Surgical Oncology, inserted a port*. The procedure requires sedation – and is performed in the primary operating room of Mercy Medical Center, I didn’t sleep well the night before, so I was awake and ready to go with plenty of time to spare. George & I left for the hospital at 5:30, so traffic was light going into Baltimore.
Of course, no eating or drinking after midnight, so when I woke up after the procedure, I was starving. After a few packages of graham crackers and a cup of tea, I felt much better.

My new fashion statement -- for those in the know – is the Bard Power Port with Groshong© catheter with the PowerLoc safety infusion set… so la, de, da! It comes with a key ring card (like the ones you carry for discounts at the grocery and drug store), an ID card which I must carry in my wallet, and an ID bracelet (in streaked grey to hot pink rubber, a la Lance Armstrong).

After the procedure, I needed to wait at the hospital so that I could receive an injection. The timing of this is important – it must be given 22 – 24 hours after the last chemotherapy drug was infused. Because George had to leave at 11:00 for a meeting, he arranged for our friend, Diana Bullock, to pick me up at the surgical area. (Many, many thanks, Diana!) A nurse accompanied us (me in a wheelchair) from the Operating Suite through several buildings, to the Chemotherapy Department, where we waited, waited and waited until time to receive the injection (2:15). While we waited, waited and waited until the bewitching hour, all I could think of was food and sleep.

I met a new nurse, Karin. She was fantastic and gave me all sorts of hints about caring for the port and how to mitigate the after effects of the Neulasta drug.


* A medical port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical "needle stick". Ports are used to treat hematology and oncology patients, but recently ports have been adapted for hemodialysis patients. The port is usually inserted in the upper chest, just below the clavicle or collar bone, leaving the patient's hands free.

No comments:

Post a Comment